Military Divorce Attorneys Serving US Service Members And Spouses
Although divorce for U.S. service members is a civil action, there are many issues that are peculiar to pensions, benefits and work schedules that make military divorce unique. If you are a service member stationed in any branch of the military in the South Bay area and are considering filing for divorce, talk to an experienced military divorce lawyer first.
At the Law Offices of Steven A. Dinneen P.C., our California team of attorneys has represented military servicemen and women in divorce cases in county courts throughout the South Bay area from our San Jose office. We understand the complexities of military divorce and are committed to helping you move through the process toward the best possible resolution for you and your family.
Know What Is To Come In A Military Divorce
Law Offices of Steven A. Dinneen P.C., has been working exclusively in family law since our founding in 2012. Our experience and dedication to family law will help you understand your options related to:
- Pension: The military pension system is a significant component of a service member’s total compensation package. There are many complex issues that must be considered regarding spousal rights to future retirement benefits.
- Health care coverage: Spouses in a long-term military marriage may have the right to retain some of the service member’s health care benefits for themselves and their children.
- Benefits: Since some types of military pay is not taxable income, configuring a fair settlement regarding assets and debt is different than dealing with civilian divorce.
- Child custody and visitation rights: Service members are subject to long-term deployment and work schedules that make regular parental visits impossible. Special arrangements are often made to accommodate unusual work schedules.
- Spousal support: Under certain circumstances, military service members may be obligated to pay spousal support. Whether you are an obligor or obligee, we will protect your financial rights and interests.
While military divorces are no more complicated than civilian divorces, there are special rules and requirements that apply to U.S. service members and their spouses when they divorce. These differences may affect matters of compliance, service of process, residency or filing requirements, and division of military pensions.
Let Us Help Through Your Military Divorce
Divorce can be emotionally straining under the best circumstances. It’s critical you secure the legal counsel of an experienced family law attorney to guide you through the process. Without a lawyer, you put yourself at great risk of losing more than you need to. We can help protect your best interests through all areas of divorce.
If you are in the San Jose area or need representation from a Bay Area attorney, contact us to schedule your free initial 30-minute consultation. Call 408-645-0011 or email us here to set up your appointment. The sooner you contact us, the sooner we can begin fighting for you.