Experienced Property Division You Can Trust
The division of property, also known as equitable distribution, is a judicial division of property rights and obligations between spouses during divorce. It may be done by agreement, through a property settlement or by judicial decree. Distribution of property is the division, due to death or the dissolution of a marriage, of property that was owned by the deceased or acquired during the course of the marriage.
At the Law Offices of Steven A. Dinneen P.C., our California attorneys know that when marital assets are divided in divorce, the stakes can be extremely high, especially if the assets are significant or complex. To ensure you receive everything you are entitled to, it’s important to put your case in the hands of an experienced divorce lawyer as soon as possible.
Property Settlement In Divorce
Valuation of complex assets is one of the most contested areas of divorce. Examples of complex assets include:
- Closely held or family businesses
- Professional practices
- Real estate investments
- Highly compensated executives
- Assets that are owned with other people
- Intellectual property such as patents, copyrights and trademarks
- Assets held in trust or that have tax implications for early distribution
- Unique assets such as collectible cars and jewelry
- Stock options, restricted stock options, deferred income, bonuses and executive compensation
- Separate property that has been commingled with marital property
- Separate property that includes marital property contributions
- Inheritances, gifts and trusts
- Retirement assets
- Hidden assets
- Assets subject to a prenuptial agreement
Valuation of complex marital property is often a battle of experts. Once an asset has been valued, attorney Steven A. Dinneen follows the law of equitable distribution. “Equitable” does not mean “equal.” It means fair. What is fair depends on the nature of the asset, the length of the marriage and what attorney you choose. Our attorneys will aggressively protect your rights to receive an equitable settlement
Put Our Experience To Work For You
Since the Law Offices of Steven A. Dinneen P.C., was founded in 2012, we have earned many accolades and awards from different institutions. We are proud of the reputation we hold among our peers and our clients. Divorce and family law isn’t just something we do. It’s the only thing we do.
If you are in the San Jose area, contact our office by calling us at 408-645-0011 or by emailing us here. Schedule your free initial 30-minute consultation with an experienced attorney who is dedicated to your best possible outcome.